Did you know a tick could do this to your child?
Imagine your healthy family going to bed, and the next day, one of your children wakes up paralyzed. As shown in this video, this is what happened to one family and it could have been any of us. Learn what to do if your child suffers from tick paralysis. A Tick Remover might be all you need.
Amanda Lewis from Oregon was kind enough to share with the world what her husband Lantz Lewis and her went through from the moment they suspected their daughter acting differently than usual till the moment the doctors from the emergency room could bring a conclusion as to what was going on. It turns out their precious daughter, little Evelyn, was suffering from Tick Paralysis, likely cause by an American dog tick.
I hope you share this article so more people can be aware. That is very important.
Amanda recounts the whole ordeal in her Facebook page as follow. I also include the video at the bottom of the page.
‘’ We had a little bit of a scary morning today…luckily everything is ok but I wanted to share this so the rest of you are aware.
Evelyn started acting a little weird last night around bed time. She didn’t want to stand up after her bath to get into her pajamas. I helped her and got her in bed. She was a little fussy last night and I ended up sleeping in bed with her all night.
This morning she was having a hard time standing. She could barely walk, or crawl, and could hardly use her arms. We took some video to send to family to see if they had any idea what could be going on. We decided to take her into the ER right after we took this video because her symptoms were getting worse, and given Lantz’s history with cancer we were quite concerned.
We got into a room quickly, thank God, and were seen almost right away. The doctor talked to us for a minute and said over the past 15 years he had seen about 7 or 8 children her age with identical symptoms and more than likely she had a tick. They looked her over, combed through her hair really well and sure enough found a tick hiding in her hair.
This condition is called tick paralysis. It can affect dogs also and can be fatal. I’m glad we took her in when we did and that it wasn’t something worse and that we found it before it got worse.
The ticks are out like crazy right now in this area so if your children or dogs start acting a little off, check them thoroughly for ticks!
I feel awful for not having seen the little bugger sooner but I never would have even thought to look for a tick. It’s crazy that a little bug can do this!
We’re still in the ER. Now that the tick has been removed, Evelyn should start feeling like herself in a couple of hours. She’s enjoying popsicles and watching cartoons ☺ They want to monitor her for a little longer then we can go home
UPDATE: I didn’t realize how widespread this video would end up! So for those of you who don’t know us personally, Evelyn is doing much better. It took her until the next morning to start acting like herself again. She is now pretty much completely back to her feisty little self. She complains a lot about her head itching but otherwise she’s just fine.
My husband and I are still in shock that this happened to our baby girl and I’m glad we were able to spread some awareness about this. It’s not terribly common for this to happen but it’s good to be aware that if your children or pets start having weakness in their limbs to look for a tick! The doctor told us that the type of tick that was found on her does not typically carry lyme disease (dog tick) but we are keeping a close eye on her anyway.
“Tick paralysis results from injection of a toxin from tick salivary glands during a blood meal. The toxin causes symptoms within 2–7 days, beginning with weakness in both legs that progresses to paralysis. The paralysis ascends to the trunk, arms, and head within hours and may lead to respiratory failure and death. The disease can present as acute ataxia without muscle weakness”
For more information on Tick paralysis:
I’m so thankful that we got her to the doctor quickly before her symptoms got worse and that the doctor in the ER that day had experience with this otherwise who knows how many tests they would have been doing on her trying to figure out what was wrong!
Thank you all for your kind words and support through this crazy time! ♥ …”
I am so glad that little Evelyn is feeling better now as reported by her parents. Thank God the doctors figured it out quickly and thanks to her video, many of us are now aware of this, at least I wouldn’t guess it either had it happened to my child.
As I write this article, so far over 11 million people have watch Amanda’s video on her Facebook Page.
Has this happened to a loved one or someone you know? Leave me your comment below.
Hope this was helpful to you. Please share this article with your love ones. You might save them some headache one day. Having a Tick Remover handy may be appropriate from now one.
[amazon_link asins=’B00X7072HY,B00KI1I7BU,B0014B1TR2,B010NU1V1I’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’singlemomspower-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’daa7056f-3da0-11e7-a8df-7bda7f6f9933′]